Douglas M. Tice

DougDivision you will compete in: Full Power Classic Raw

Age: 34

Height: 5’ 7’’

Weight/Competition Weight: 205/198

Current max lifts Bench/Squat/Deadlift: Squat:500/Bench: 345/Deadlift: 510

City: Phoenix

Years as a vegan: 3 years

Why you became a Vegan: For the animals!!  I always considered myself an animal lover.  Then it became clear to me that in order to really love animals I must refrain from financially supporting any practice that profits off of the suffering and death of animals.

History Competing: 6 years competing in the sport of powerlifting.  In that time I have competed in:

4 Single-ply full-power meets (meaning you perform squat, bench, deadlift

1 Multi-ply full-power meet

2 single ply push-pull meets (bench and deadlift only)

1 single ply bench only meet

2 Classic Raw full-power meets

I never keep track of first, second, etc.  Because to me it is all about improving competition to competition.  If you total more than last time.  That is all that matters in my opinion.

What drives you to compete:  To showcase that a person can be strong and fit without having to participate in the barbaric custom of eating the dead flesh and secretions of animals.  I know that I am not the strongest athlete in the world (or even my zipcode, haha) but I can tell you that I have gotten stronger since adapting a Vegan lifestyle.  This showcases a lot!  I had already been powerlifting for a few years before I became Vegan, and anyone who is involved in strength sports can tell you it gets much harder to get stronger the longer you have been training for strength.  So, if I can get even stronger with a Vegan lifestyle, then anyone can!!

What do you see as the biggest advantages of being a vegan athlete: The biggest advantage of being a Vegan athlete is that my recovery from hard training is better due to my body receiving the proper nutrients.  Another big plus is that I have no problem digesting the high number of calories needed to fuel my training.  When I used to eat an omnivorous diet, my stomach was always in a slight amount of discomfort from all the animal products.

What types of supplements if any do you use?: Multivitamin, B-12, Tribulus Terrestris, Cell Block 80

How would you describe your diet while preparing for a competition: The most important aspect of my nutritional needs during competition prep is that I need to consume at least 3500 calories a day.  About 80% of that is from whole food sources.  The other 20% (sometimes more) is from Junkfood.  I am a powerlifter after all.

Favorite food in your prep diet:  

Vegan po boy sandwich or wings!  (like I said, strength athlete not a physique competitor! Haha)

How would you describe your training for a competition:  

Because I follow a conjugate (or Westside) style of training.  Training for a competition does not change very much from my normal “off-season” with the exception of the final 21 days leading up to the competition.  That time period is designated for the “circa-max” phase.  Which can be described as hell on earth for your CNS.

Favorite exercises: Bench press

How many hours a week do you spend training?: 10 hours

Today I am most proud of: Today I am most proud of the fact that I have maintained a Vegan lifestyle for 3 years and have increased my performance in the powerlifts.