by Amber Sperling
If you are a physique competitor I’m sure these food choices are in your prep, and probably make up a majority of your meals. When I was prepping for my first bikini show I felt like this was the only thing I ate. I can also admit I looked forward to my 4 oz of sweet potato. Now, here is the low down on some great fat burning food choices, which promote weight loss.
· Is considered to be a great vegetable for weight loss, because it is low in calories (40 calories per cup) and is a great source of dietary fiber which will help in suppressing your appetite. Asparagus is also a natural diuretic, which flushes your bodies fluids and helps deplete the body of excess sodium.
· While sweet potatoes have a naturally sweet taste, they contain natural sugars which are slowly released into the blood stream ensuring a balanced source of energy, and enabling the body to stay in a fat burning mode.
·Like the sweet potato, brown rice is a low-energy-density food, meaning its filling but low in calories. Brown rice creates a feeling of fullness, meaning smaller portion sizes. In addition, the side hull and bran on brown rice are nutrient rich, allow for quicker cooking times, and are also lighter in the stomach, making it easier for your body to digest.
· Did you know quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat? Quinoa is a seed, but is often mistaken as a grain; quinoa is often cooked like a grain which causes the confusion. This protein rich seed is considered to be a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
· Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fiber regulates digestion, and makes you feel fuller for longer and is less “energy dense” which means it has fewer calories for the same volume of food, which makes it a great weight loss food.
· Celery has often been coined with the name of a, “negative calorie food”. What does this mean? The caloric energy it takes to chew and digest celery, is more than its caloric content. Since celery is so low in calories (16 calories per cup), it makes it a valuable food which promotes weight loss. Celery is also filling because it stores a relatively large amount of water. I’ve always enjoyed eating my celery with peanut or almond butter and raisins, as a daytime snack.
· Another negative calorie food is grapefruit. Grapefruit is very low in calories (53 calories). Grapefruit is also know to have a compound that improves your insulin sensitivity, which prevents your body from releasing excess or unnecessary insulin that can contribute to unwanted fat storage. Thus, grapefruit is considered to be a fat burning food and a great food for weight loss. I eat half a grapefruit every morning with a serving of nuts.